Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kindle fire


HPL Kindle Fire FAQ

6.04.2012







Why were Kindle Fires purchased?

We wanted every NL staff person to have the opportunity to become familiar with downloading e-Books and comfortable using a tablet.  Each NL location, except Discovery Green and Fifth Ward, will receive a Kindle Fire. 

Who can check out a Kindle Fire?

Any NL staff.  It can only be checked out and returned to the home neighborhood library location.  For example, if it is checked out at Montrose, then it must be returned to Montrose.

How do I check out a Kindle Fire?

Please use your personal HPL library card.

What is the check out period?

You may check it out for 2 weeks with no renewals.  They cannot be placed on HOLD.  A Manager may set up a “waiting list” so that all staff has a chance to try out the device.

Can I use it at home?

Yes.  Staff is encouraged to check out the device on your library card and use it either at home; or at work.  The best way to become familiar with new technology is by using it.

What Amazon account do I use?

Each neighborhood library will use a special Gmail account to set up Amazon account.

If staff uses their personal Amazon account, then he or she is responsible for registering and de-registering the device when it is returned.



Can I buy a book and download it?

You can only purchase a book for download on your personal Amazon account.  You are responsible for registering and de-registering it.  Once you return the device, you would be able to access your purchased item through the Kindle app on a mobile device, on a computer, or on another Kindle device.



How do I download an e-Book?

Instructions are available on the NL blog: http://hplnl.blogspot.com/

How do I request hands on training at my library?

Please email your request to hpltraining@houstontx.gov

When the Kindle Fire is not in use, it should be secured in the laptop cabinet.


No comments: